We’ve produced this page to be clear about what we think is good and right, a kind of Terms and Conditions page. We think you’ll agree with it but it’s best to be sure.
By accepting our invitation to participate in I’m a Medic, Get me out of here! you are agreeing to the following:
- We can publicise your involvement in the event – this will be on our site but also possibly in press releases and wherever we are able to get positive coverage for the event.
- With your consent, we may share your name and email address with participating teachers so they can invite you to visit their school and take part in further engagement activities, and with funders and sponsors if they want to get in touch about your involvement.
- As this is an online event, all your answers and information on your profile will be public and visible to anyone on the internet.
- If you win, the £500 prize will be spent on a communication activity that engages young people with studying medicine, and that you’ll provide a brief report on those activities that we can publish on our site and publicise elsewhere. Examples from our I’m a Scientist event can be found here: about.imascientist.org.uk/category/prize-winner/ – you agree to tell us in advance your plans and accept that we have a veto on what is acceptable.
- With your consent, we may contact your employer to check your work status.
- If you’re an academic, you give permission for us to send the report for your zone to your public engagement department, or similar. To opt out of this just get in touch.
- We reserve the right to edit your answers.
- You are responsible for the content you write, including links that you post, so you should only post from reputable sources. Images should be used to help inform the visitor as opposed to entertain them.
- Your profile and the answers that you give to questions on the site will be published under a Creative Commons licence (Attribution). That means that you’re welcome to share material from this site as long as you credit I’m a Scientist. Please don’t use material from this site for commercial purposes, or adapt or edit material.
This last item might cause the most consternation. We’ve included it because clarity is needed over the status of the content that gets produced on the site. People have suggested that the questions and answers should be collated into a book that could be published. We’ve always held that any such book would need to be on a not-for-profit basis and any surplus donated to good causes. Without permission such an enterprise would be impossible.
If you object to any of these items please do email email@example.com so that we know. If it is 1, 3, 4 or 7 you object to it will be a problem but we can hopefully work around the rest.